Thursday, December 9, 2010

Northern Rivers market finds

As 2010 wraps up, I find myself scouring the local markets for handmade gifts (and goodies to give to myself :-)  ). This got me listing all my good finds and memories from the markets this year. The markets this year became a wonderful place to escape (aka procrastinate) from doing uni assignments and the general weekly routine. It was also a place to bond with friends and family, an outing when I had visitors, and a way for me as a marketing student, to see how others turned their ideas into reality and a livelihood. Here is my list of finds.
Lismore Car boot Markets. I went here the most frequently, as it was in walking distance from my home.  - Fudge!!!!! especially choc mint. mmmmmm, Herbs, local honey (soooo much cheaper!!!) a stall called Bird and Rose sold beautiful vintage clothing, and the prices were written on playing cards. I regret not buying an 80s sequinned bolero from there, but did get a bright blue silk office blouse (win). Picked up some bargain tea/sugar/flour cannisters from a vintage homewares stall- which get used daily.
The Channon Markets - went here on an outing when we had visitors. Discovered 'the Tea People' company from Nambucca, and got some chocolate chai tea off them. I can see me becoming very addicted to their teas :-).   Apparently 20 years ago according to our guest, it was a place where the hippies would come out of the hills nearby and gather to sing and play music. None of this was there - was very disappointed !! However the crafts were brilliant - I wish I had taken more money :-(
Love Vintage Yamba- punters packed into a small church hall at Yamba on a stuffy day to snatch up the  treasures. I found some 60s peach coloured gloves for the races, and an 80s black tiered ra-ra skirt- am yet to convert this skirt into and evening dress, watch this space.
Bangalow Markets - joined the hoards in the mud (I heart my gumboots) on a sunday afternoon. Discovered a stall selling jewellery out of kimono fabric- shall come in handy for gifts for the women in my famliy. 
Brisbane art and Craft fair- not technically a grassroots local market, as it is held annually in the exhibition centre at Southbank, Brisbane. However, I did pick up some hugely cute rabbit button earrings, kimono fabric brooches, and the birds which I made fridge magnets out of. I feel however I need a buying strategy going to this markets, as there are so many cute bits and pieces I want, but  have no idea how I would use them.
Lismore Farmers Market - keeping me stocked up on local avocadoes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment